Sunday, July 22, 2007

Between Jobs

Well, I am out of Qwest and waiting to go Ball Aerospace. I have a lot of butterflys about the whole transition, but I know that we are always waiting for something.

I remember seeing a World War II movie when I was young that featured a scene with two men in a fox hole waiting for the next wave of Japanese to overrun their position. Woefully outnumbered.

In the quiet between the waves of soldiers, there was silence and a temporary peace that allowed the men to reflect. The first man to speak remarked that his whole life consisted of waiting. Waiting to grow up, waiting for his first kiss, waiting to get married, waiting for his first son to be born...waiting to go to war and now waiting for... he could not tell what his outcome would be, but he could be waiting for his death. What happened to the men, I don't remember, just the existential moment of that reflection.

Why that particular scene of a movie stuck in my head, I will never know, but it has provided some kind of perspective to me to know that we are all going through stages of existence and we are waiting for the next stage to begin and waiting for immortality to begin.

No comments: